This is where I am!

This is where I am!
This is where I am!

Tuesday, October 2, 2012


So we have late church and afterwards we drove up the mountains to see the fall leaves which are beautiful! There is very sporadic cell coverage up there. So we're at the summit-10,000ft and a message comes through, so I listen to it.  It’s Pres Brough calling. He says he'll call back in an hour." Don't worry, Carolyn is fine." Yeah right. I told my husband to get down from this mountain NOW!  Of course we are on a windy road and there is a big trailer with already 10 cars behind it when we catch up to them... 
Well as soon as I got good cell coverage I called him back.  He said "Hello sister Brown!" Then proceeded to tell me that Carolyn has the first know case of Dengue Fever for a city mission.  It is caused by a mosquito bite.  They didn't know what was wrong with her for the first few days. She was tired and in a lot of pain.  Test came back negative but then they did them again and this time it said it was Dengue.  Now that they know what it is they sent her home to rest until Tuesday. She should be better by then. 
 To find out more information about Dengue Fever click here 
It was kind of nice to get to talk to the president.  He told us what a great missionary she is and said the best thing about her is how much she truly loves the people.  That made me happy.  So, needless to say, we were anxiously awaiting her email today… here it is!
Hi...I´m ok now still just my body is tired and now I have a rash for a couple days that itches like crazy so that sucks. This was the hardest week of my mission for sure. I was seriously seconds away from calling home on Sunday morning. I have never missed you guys so much or been so baggy here in the mission! Probably not what you want to hear,  but it´s true. Being sick on the mission is the worst ever. I guess you want to know what happened then...well basically Wednesday morning at like 1 am I woke up with cold chills and a fever. Like I was shivering so bad I was shaking the bed haha so I was just thinking it was a flu or something the whole time. Then I saw Hna Montgomery (she’s the missionary nurse) later that day because we had to all meet as sisters to switch back from intercambios and I took my temperature and it was at 102.7 and so she wanted them to do blood tests. Dr. Drake was positive that it wasn´t dengue...Anyway I had to go again on Friday to get my blood drawn and then on Sunday I flipped out, wanted to call home just a bunch of junk haha and then Hna. Montgomery called and said she was on her way with Hna. Brough to take me to the hospital. Then the Dr. there said it was dengue and that I just had to rest and wait it out. Basically Wednesday til yesterday I was in the house sleeping or in the capital getting blood work done. This week sucked really bad. Oh and I had to go get blood work done yesterday too to make sure I was getting better. Now my whole body is just itchy so that sucks too. 5 days in the house with fever is what dengue looks like for me and I hope I never get it again! That’s about all my week. As for your questions, only one of my companions was with me at all times because the other two had to go out and work. I went running on Wednesday when I just thought it was the flu but then Friday I was dead and I couldn´t do anything so I didn´t go that day. I lost like 5 pounds. Yeah I take the garlic pills but only sometimes when I remember so I´ll be better about it now haha  I´ve been bit by a dog and got dengue...I think my mission is about complete. Anyway I miss you
For transfers this week, it´s just going to be Hna Garcia from El Salvador and me starting tomorrow.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
Can you send me family updates again?  (So family, write her!!!)

For Christmas maybe a long sleeve SUU shirt or sweatshirt for me if it´s not too bulky.
love you momma have a good week. You´re the best! Can you send me some temple pictures? LOVE YOU! how´s Mit Romney doing? What's the news on the temple in Star Valley? anyway...LOVE YOU!

(She wrote Brian that there had been another sister missionary who said she had Dengue Fever, but she never told the Mission Office.)

No comments:

Post a Comment