This is where I am!

This is where I am!
This is where I am!

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Kidnapping! Transfer! Christmas Phone Call!


First of all – Some of you may have heard that two sisters in Carolyn’s mission were abducted on Wednesday, Dec 19th.  It was change day.  They were held for almost 3 days and were rescued by a Guatemalan Kidnapping Task Force and the FBI!  One of the men was wanted for murdering one of his kidnapping victims last June.  According to the news reports, Hna Trevino said they never cried, taught them some of the discussions, and felt as if they were being encircled by angels the whole time!  What a blessing their safe return was.  Here are a couple of links to stories about it.




Our Christmas day phone call was awesome!  Of course our first questions were about the kidnapping.  They were told about it by the mission office and were told not to talk to anyone about it.  When it was over, they were all notified.  She has always felt safe!  

She has been called to be the Retention Leader for her new zone.  The sister from Mesa that was abducted is the Retention Leader for the whole mission, so she will be meeting with her monthly.  The Retention Leader is responsible to keep tabs on all members who were baptized within the last year and make sure they are attending their meetings.  
So she finally has a phone and will be going to Guatemala City monthly for meetings with Hna Trevino. 

Her new companion is a “Norte” from Paragonah, about 15 minutes north of Cedar!  This is her companion's last change and she will be coming home in February.  It will be fun for us to get to meet her and attend her homecoming!  

She is enjoying all her Christmas presents, but doesn’t want to wear any of her new clothes because she just sweats all day long!  

She really loves her new area.  There are 18 missionaries in her zone and they are the only sisters.  They are looking forward to the mission almost doubling in size in early 2013.  She’s happy!  Just truly happy!  It was great to hear her voice and hard to hang up!
New companion - Hna Neighbor from Paragoonah!

Well, here is her email from Monday, December 24th:
I´m in La Gomera which is in a different zone but it´s about an hour away from Escuintla. YEAH HNA NEIGHBOR IS MY COMP AND SHE´S THE HNA FROM PARAGONAH!! Legit right?! 
¡Feliz Navidad! Well this week has been just a little bit crazy getting to know the people and the area. I think Heavenly Father has been preparing me to be here with Hna. Neighbor. I´m super happy she is my companion and I´m really happy to be here in La Gomera right now even though the heat is KILLING ME! haha But it's really great here and all the people are really nice. Since it´s Hna. Neighbor´s last change she wants to have 17 baptisms so we are going to be working really hard this change! The people here have been really receptive and the members here are really great too. Hna. Neighbor walks faster than I run so that's going to take some getting use to haha but she´s great a WAY hard worker so I´m happy for that. I don´t know I just have never been happier than now in my mission. All have my companions have been great but I don´t know I just really think Heavenly Father is giving me A LOT of help to get accustomed to the area and everything because seriously everyday I´m just really happy (even though I think I´m going to have shin splints from walking so fast and I sweat SO much). The branch is really cool and we have a few really good investigators. The Law of Chastity is the biggest problem here because everyone has an extra wife or husband OR they´re 14 years old and pregnant. None of that really matters though because I feel like we´re going to have a lot of success in this area.  

Anyway we changed houses the day after I got here and we´re probably going to change houses again too so things have been really busy and I haven’t taken any pictures but next week I PINKY PROMISE I will send pictures. The houses here suck and our shower is always cold but it´s really refreshing since (I promise this is the last time I´ll say it) IT´S SO FREAKING HOT ALL THE TIME!! 

Well I just want to tell you that I love you both so much and I hope you have a good rest of your day and I can't wait to talk to you tomorrow! At 3 30 then would be the best. LOVE YOU!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment