This is where I am!

This is where I am!
This is where I am!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cedar to SLC to LA to Guatemala!!!

So this is Carolyn's mom writing this blog.  Give me a little time to perfect this, as right now, I really have no idea what I am doing.  Any pro bloggers out there who want to offer any advice...you know my email.

Yesterday Carolyn was set apart at 11am and then we all headed to the Cedar City airport for a 1:15 departure.  They told us that once everyone was there they would leave even if it was early.  So, of course everyone got there and they wanted to leave, so they called us to come through the security gate and get on the plane.  All I know is our family was in NO hurry!  It was nice to have Drew Hansen and his parents be there to say goodbye also.  She said her goodbyes to "dad" and Mike and then WE were off.  Yes, WE.  I flew with her to SLC.  We left Cedar City at least 15 minutes early and then we arrived in SLC about 30 minutes early.  Janice (Carolyn's Aunt) picked us up to take us to lunch at The Cheesecake Factory.  This was to be Carolyn's last memorable meal in the USA.  Of course since we were early and there was a new H&M store right next door, Carolyn wanted to "shop" one last time.  (Like she could even shove one more item in her carry on!)
Carolyn was very happy to see that lunch was going to be a "Family Affair".  Her two aunts were there along with  7 cousins and some of their cute kids!  Although her All American Burger was overcooked, she really enjoyed her Lady Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake.
Then we were off back to the airport.  We were going to still have a long time to wait around, but I wanted to be there  way early rather than too late.  Finally a small group of missionaries arrived.  It was 4 elders and 1 sister who had been in the Provo MTC for the last 3 weeks.  They had had NO Spanish training yet, as they were also part of the accelerated learning program, but they were given the option to still go to the MTC in Provo for those first 3 weeks.  (Carolyn was never offered any option.)  They just went through the same training as the missionaries going to English speaking missions have.  The sister was from Canada and her name was Hermana Steed.  There was another sister who kind of found them on their way to the terminal.  She was doing the same thing Carolyn is - going straight to the CCM in Guatemala.  Her name is Hermana Bates and she is from Utah by way of  Wyoming.  (She speaks really good Spanish already.)  Little by little more and more missionaries arrived.  All of them were going to either the Guatemala City Central (Carolyn's mission) or Guatemala City South missions.  There was one sister that I knew from Missionary Moms was coming in from Billings, MT.  So Carolyn and the other 2 sisters went to meet her plane in the the other area of the airport while I watched all their carry on stuff.  I'm sure she was quite surprised to have a welcoming party there to greet her and show her where to come.  Her name is Hermana Gifford from Montana.  Then eventually 2 more sisters and 2 more elders showed up.  The other two sisters are Sister Judd (Arizona) and Sister Muhlestein (Idaho - I think).  As the six of them sat and talked I think any nerves or fear they may have been feeling subsided a bit.  They are a really cute, energetic group of girls who are going to work hard and have fun doing it.

So the journey begins.....

1 comment:

  1. As Hermana Giffords mother it was a great news to me that those sweet sisters met my daughter at her gate! I'm sure she was surprised and pleased! Please tell your daughter in your next e-mail how much I appreciated it as a rather anxious mom!

    ReplyDelete